HUTCHINSON, Kan. — The Hutchinson Police Department is asking the public to be more vigilant in securing their vehicles after some auto burglaries in the city.
The department suggests the following steps:
1. Always lock your cars. The vast majority of auto burglaries happen to unlocked vehicles.
2. Do not leave valuables like purses, wallets, electronics or personal items where they can be seen.
3. If you have a garage, park your vehicle there. Also, make sure your garage is secured to prevent anyone from getting in.
4. Consider installing additional security measures, like car alarms or steering wheel locks.
5. If you notice suspicious activity in your neighborhood, call law enforcement.
6. Do not leave your vehicle unattended to warm up. It is against the law to do so if you do not have a remote starter.