Aug 13, 2022

Dog rescued while Kansas home damaged in fire

Posted Aug 13, 2022 2:00 PM
Photo courtesy Overland Park Fire Department
Photo courtesy Overland Park Fire Department

JOHNSON COUNTY —Discarded smoking materials are believed responsible for a Kansas house fire.

Just after 12:30a.m. crews from Overland Park and Leawood responded to a house fire in the 5300 Block of W. 158th  Place, according to a media release.

First arriving units found heavy smoke and fire coming from the two-story, single family home.  Firefighters focused on the fire in the exterior then entered the home to confirm the residents were out safely out. They rescued a dog and cat.

It took crews over an hour to bring the fire under control. One firefighter was treated at the scene for heat related stress. There were no other injuries.

Residents said smoke alarms woke them and they were able to escape and call 911.  Fire investigators believe careless discard of smoking materials may be to blame for the fire. The home sustained significant damage to the first and second floors and the attic. The entire home also suffered significant smoke damage.  Officials have not released an estimate of damage.