HUTCHINSON, Kan. — Three people were able to escape a Sunday afternoon house fire in Hutchinson.
Firefighters were called at 5:20 p.m. Sunday to 505 North Washington for a report of a house fire. Fire crews reported heavy fire and smoke coming from a window on the front side of the house.
Two adults and one child were home. All got out safe. The fire was contained in the bedroom where it started, but the smoke and heat damage have left the home uninhabitable.
Investigators say the homeowner was using a lighter as a flashlight and caught the underside of the bed on fire. No one was hurt.