HUTCHINSON, Kan. — In a unanimous decision by the Hutch Rec Board of Commissioners, Hutch Rec activities will remain suspended through Dec. 31. Hutch Rec’s Senior Center at Elmdale Park and the Hutchinson Sports Arena will also remain closed to the public during this time. This is in an effort to stem the rising cases of COVID-19 in our community and to stop the subsequent damage to other essential services in our community, including healthcare and education, in addition to keeping our small businesses open.
It is the hope of the Board of Commissioners and Hutch Rec leadership team that our community takes this time to make serious efforts in doing their part to help lower the number of active cases in Reno County, with the ultimate goal of resuming recreation programs starting Jan. 1. Throughout COVID-19, Hutch Rec has been a leader in the community in providing recreation activities while keeping participants safe.
Hutch Rec has been able to provide these activities in a safe and healthy environment, thanks to specific COVID-19 guidelines set forth by the Kansas Recreation and Parks Association.
Specific Hutch Rec program and facility updates include:
Hutch Rec Programs:
• Youth Lil Dribblers basketball: Games will resume in January. Participants will receive an email with more details, and a more specific schedule will be released by sports staff in December.
• Adult Volleyball Leagues: Teams will receive pro-rated refunds for remaining fall league games.
• Central Kansas Basketball Leagues (1st-6th Grades): Registration deadline for youth competitive basketball leagues is now Jan. 4, with a Zoom coaches meeting on Jan. 7. Games will
be played as originally scheduled (double-headers at the Hutchinson Sports Arena on Jan. 16, 30; Feb. 6, 13).
• Youth Recreation Basketball Leagues (1st-6th Grades): Registration deadline for youth recreation leagues is now Jan. 8, with a Zoom coaches meeting on Jan. 14. Games will be played 4
weeks in late January through February, with two weeks scheduled as double-headers to complete the 6-game guarantee.
• MINDBODY fitness classes: Classes will resume on Jan. 1 with a FREE New Year’s Day Community Workout. Community walking will also resume on Jan. 1. Additional details will be shared in
Senior Center at Elmdale Park, 400 E. Ave. E
• Closed to the public through Dec. 31, including ongoing activities and programs.
• Senior Center members will still have the opportunity to order, purchase, and pick up lunches through the curbside carryout program, held on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 11:30 a.m.-
12:30 p.m. Orders must be placed by noon the previous day by calling (620) 663-2811.
Hutchinson Sports Arena, 13th & Sesher Plaza
• Notable programs and activities are suspended through Dec. 31, including:
o Community walking hours
o Open gym, including basketball shoot-around, pickleball, and practices
Hutch Rec Downtown, 17 E. 1st
• Facility remains open to the public during regular business hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Masks are required to be worn while inside the facility.
• Online registration for activities is also available at hutchrec.com.
Dillon Nature Center, 3002 E. 30th Ave
• Trails & grounds are open to the public from 8 a.m. to dusk; the Visitor’s Center will remain open to the public during regular business hours. Masks are required to be worn while inside the Visitor’s Center.