HUTCHINSON, Kan. — The City of Hutchinson officially celebrates 150 years as an incorporated city in August 2022. To celebrate, the City, along with Reno County – who celebrated 150 years in 2021 – as well as Hutch Rec, the Hutch Chamber, the Reno County Historical Society, Dillons, and the Cosmosphere, are uniting to host a special community-wide event this summer.
Hutchinson and Reno County residents are invited to a Community Spirit Block Party on Aug. 18. This special 150th celebration will include 12 block parties on Main Street, from Avenue C through 9th Avenue. Festivities will take place from 6-9 p.m.
This week, the 150th Celebration Committee met with block party captains as plans continue for the 12-block celebration. They also extended the deadline for businesses, civic groups, and community organizations to submit their interest in participating. Forms can be downloaded at: https://www.renocomuseum.org/150th.
Submission forms are due by July 8 and can be delivered to Hutch Rec’s Downtown Office, 17 E. 1st, between 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday, or e-mailed to [email protected].
Highlights of the 150th Block Party Celebration include:
- 150th Celebration Shirts: The Reno County Museum and Celebration Planning Committee have put together a commemorative t-shirt. Shirts are available for pre-order now on the Reno County Museum web page at: https://www.renocomuseum.org/store/reno-county-hutchinson-sesquicentennial-special-edition-t-shirt-pre-order. Shirts are $21 each, but the first 260 people who purchase one will receive $5 off. Funds from the shirt sales support the Reno County Museum and the preservation of local history.
- 150th Photo Opportunity: The Committee is working on a special 150th group photo in Downtown Hutchinson. A professional photographer will capture the group creating the numbers 1-5-0 using drone photography. More specific details on how the public can be a part of this special photo will be released in July.
- Block Captains: Each block will have a designated block captain(s), who will help organize the entertainment and activities along Main Street and communicate with participants who have submitted forms.
- Avenue C/Avenue B: Maj. Paul James with the Salvation Army
- Avenue B-Avenue A: Mark Buckley with the Toy Depot & Antique District
- 1 South: City of Hutchinson
- 1 North-100 North: Kevin Rule with Sleep Shoppe & Furniture Gallery and Jasmine Hurlbut with First National Bank of Hutchinson
- 100 North: Janice Richardson with Splinters & Rust and the Wiley District
- 200 North: Katie Gibbons with Milestone Clubhouse
- 300 North: Family Community Theatre
- 400 North: Andrea Springer with The Wool Market & DIY and Kylee Smith with Lit Studios
- 500 North: Katie Broker with the Reno County Museum/Reno County Historical Society
- 600-700 North: Michele McCartney with the Cosmosphere
- 700-800 North: Creekside Neighborhood and First Baptist Church
- 900 North: Sheila Regehr with Dillons
Follow the event partners’ social media pages and the Reno County Museum web page at: https://www.renocomuseum.org/150th for updates and announcements.