HUTCHINSON, Kan. — Just before 8:30 a.m. Friday, emergency crews were called to the Tyson Prepared Foods facility on South Main in Hutchinson.
According to the Hutchinson Fire Department a group of contractors were working on the refrigeration system when ammonia was released.
Two people were hurt, one was transported with what appeared to be critical injuries according to Reno County 911.
Tyson officials did not comment at the scene Friday, but the company did send a statement. The statement is in italics below.
We’re investigating an ammonia leak that happened Friday morning at our Hutchinson, Kansas facility. The facility was evacuated, and two team members were taken to the hospital for treatment. We’re grateful for the local emergency response teams who assisted the facility to care for team members and address the situation.