Release from Hutchinson Regional Healthcare System
HUTCHINSON, Kan. — COVID-19 has reached a critical level in Reno County. In early November, a group of local medical professionals warned of the severity of what our community is facing. Since then numbers have continued to climb, with no sign of decreasing.
The Average COVID census in the hospital has reached between 35 to more than 40 per day. The hospital created a 3rd COVID unit on 3300. The hospital is also reducing the number of elective procedures done each day so staff can be reassigned to help throughout the hospital. Early this week, more than two-thirds of the patients in the hospital were COVID-19 positive patients.
Because of the high numbers of COVID patients, the visitation policy has been changed, effective immediately.
Effective Immediately: Due to the increased numbers of COVID patients and the commitment to provide a COVID safe environment for our Patients, Staff and Authorized Visitors, we are adjusting our Visitation Policy / Guidelines.
• No Visitors are allowed for COVID positive patients. This will include patients admitted to ICU, and the 4400 and 3300 Medical COVID units.
◦ Family members are welcome to call and video chat or talk as patient conditions allow.
◦ The hospital requests that one designated family member call and receive updates about the patient. This helps the hospital provide consistent updates and information regarding the patient’s condition.
• Labor and Delivery will allow One Support Person to accompany all delivering patients.
• Pediatric patients can have Both Parents in the room, whether the child is being treated in the ED or on the Pediatric Unit.
• Telemetry and the 5100 Medical/Surgical unit and 4100 Inpatient Rehab can have One Visitor Per Day. This assigned visitor can no longer be changed out throughout the day.
• ED is only allowing visitors on a Case-by-Case basis. Common exceptions could be for someone in critical condition or a pediatric patient. The ED will work diligently to communicate updates and the plan of care with the family. When the patient is brought in, family can leave one contact number with the screening table outside ED. This number will be used to contact family for updates or get additional information as needed.
• No Visitors allowed on Behavioral Health
• For Outpatient Appointments like Physician office visits, Wound Care, Radiology, or Therapy, patients may bring 1 visitor if needed for care or support.
• No one under 18 will be allowed to visit.
Hutchinson Regional Medical Center understands the value of family support for patients however, the volume of positive COVID patients in the community is so high, changes must be made to protect patients, physicians and staff.
The best way to help support your loved ones and the healthcare workers who are diligently caring for them is to wear your masks, practice good hand hygiene, exercise social distancing, don’t participate in groups larger than 10 people and support guidelines endorsed by the Reno County Health Department, Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the Centers for Disease Control.
As soon as the numbers of positive patients in the community and the hospital decrease, the hospital will reevaluate the visitation policies.
New Visitation Policy
No one under 18 will be allowed to visit.
No Visitors Allowed
• COVID Positive Patients
No Visitors on Behavioral Health
1 single, designated visitor allowed per day
• Telemetry and Med/Surg-5100
• Inpatient Rehab-4100
• Labor and Delivery-4300
Visitors allowed on case-by-case basis depending on patient condition
1 visitor allowed for:
• Physician appointments
• Wound Care
• Procedures like Surgery or Cath Lab
• End of life care will have exceptions so family can be with the patient through that difficult time.